Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Leadership assignment

What did I learn today?

I am learning more about the role of leadership and what I as a TL should be looking at. I have considered myself a leader but I think I restricted myself to library issues and haven't looked to far beyond being a leader in that area. Some of this was time restrictions but now I am starting to see where else I can be a leader.

Whom did I nurture?

Today it was myself, my own understanding of my role and where I could go with it

What challenge did I confront?

My view of what I can do in the school, my own issues with approaching others in my school and being the leader I should and can be. I have placed barriers in my way and I am starting to look at what I am putting up and saying that it isn't good enough to do this.

How did I make a positive difference?

I am experiencing acceptance of what a powerful and unique position I have and where I can take it.

Cheng, Y. (2002). Leadership and strategy.

This was an interesting article and one of the first that I could start to see where the TL can push forward as a leader in other areas on the library's radar. I like the 5 dimensional model and the break up of different components that make a leader. That we are transformational leaders and can utilise this in our position in a number of ways. The key word was proactive here and this tied in with Donham's article and that we can shape beliefs, attitudes and values to development opportunities for the future. This can be done from a single staff member, to a group to the whole staff. I really enjoyed looking through this article as it really compounded what a TL can do and that is adapt, adapt our behaviour to the situation but that we can transform the situation too and armed with our knowledge this is something I can see occurring.

No comments:

Post a Comment