Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Information literacy

I think I had a little 'aha' moment when reading this information. I had always touched on information literacy models but had never had the time to sit and do some readings on them, or realise there were so many. I think it was Wolf's (2003?) article that gave me the moment. The idea of the model as a metacognitive scaffold, my 'aha' moment was two-fold. Firstly, just to comprehend the idea of the model as a scaffolding process made it all the more clearer to me the link between modelling this and students becoming the life long learner. Secondly, as a TL I think it clarified to me part of my position in finding out about this within my schools and working towards unity in the school on this process. I started to envisage conversations with the principal and then presenting at staff meetings, defining the information literate student as a school and leading to the model that we all should be using. I started to understand the TL as a leader at the beginning and felt more confident in that role but after this I see the TL as an initiator, enabler and leader to ensure the school has policies regarding this, that the library is a support to the curriculum and the student. I think I had a focus on student interests at the beginning of this course, and that may be due to one of my schools needing that for our library - for students to want to be there to read books that interested them. I think I remembered the library when I was a student, it wasn't really there for research for me it was there for reading. After doing the readings in this unit I now understand the complexity of my role - there is the part of making sure students have books to read but I now see that if I help consolidate the information process model in use in the school with teachers and help make it clear in their mind then students will be able to use the library effectively for themselves. There is so much more I could say but I think I want to try and pull some of my thoughts together.

No comments:

Post a Comment