Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mackay 1998 "Resolving Conflict through listening..."

It was interesting to consider my own understanding of conflict with this reading, I had to seriously think about it as the first impressions when I was reading was that conflict was these fights and anger. But once I started to think about it more I realised that conflict could be about constructive feedback - considering issues in a proposal and providing concerns about it. I think if there is a process in place, like the active listening steps then that may help to provide it in such a way that emotion doesn't become the over-riding aspect. I'm not sure about comparing conflict that may occur in a workplace with conflict in marriages or personal relationships as this is a more personal setting where there is an intimacy that may not or usually not apparent in professional relationships. There may be incidences when providing opportunities for feedback through non-face-to-face means are worth exploring too. Giving time to think about it before providing feedback is another option to consider too.

No comments:

Post a Comment